Sunday, November 12, 2017

WallagerJenipherBlogPostVisionSecond



            With what is going on in the book, I cannot help but find similarities between what is happening there and what goes on here in our society here. There is a big issue with the blood prophets and people trying to own them, trying to use them, and only to keep the female babies of the blood prophets because the males would not offer anything the humans wanted. It reminds me of how some people are in our society such as trying to own someone or something that only profits them, getting into a relationship only due to obtaining profit, and using people for their own selfish reasons that will profit them. It seems to be a theme within the book and here in our world, doing whatever it takes to prosper in life, no matter what the cost, even if it is illegal. Also, I noticed within the book that while being a blood prophet, they do not like change at all. In our world, people do not like change either, we are comfortable with where we are and change could complicate things, or just take us out of the comfort zone that we all are reliant on. No matter what world anyone is in, even in a book, change is uncomfortable and is not something that is wanted. The more I read, the more similarities I see within society today in our world.
            When Meg Corbyn insists that she has to cut, it is another similarity that we have here in our world: addiction. On page 225, Meg says, “I have to cut. I have to cut now.” People with any type of addiction, no matter what kind, would understand that when you get some sort of urge, it has to be done. There are so many things in this book that can relate back to us here in our world, and almost everything I have read so far can relate in some way or another. We have groups of people who are against other groups, we have war on others that we do not agree with, along with many other issues that are in the book, we have some way, shape, or form here in our society.

2 comments:

  1. Incredibly interesting and insightful take on the foreshadow in which the author displays throughout the book. I suppose I never really looked at it from that perspective. Making the correlation between a fantasy world and the real world can be an interesting, yet tough thing to do. My personal ability to make those connections within a fantasy genre is limited because of my biased point of view. Although I too agree that there are some similarities between Thasia and America. Specifically the idea of ownership and control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are certainly many themes prevalent in the book that directly correlate with the real world. The “Humans First and Last” movement is a direct connection to racism and discrimination within society. Along with that, you mentioned how Meg is addicted to cutting and I think that addiction presents itself in our world as well. As far as the cassandra sangue, I find them similar to sex trafficking victims. It seems as though they are held captive in large groups and forced to do things. I am not sure if this was the intended perception of the cassandra sangue, but it is what I immediately thought of. I would like to know what the author intended to convey with them.

    ReplyDelete

WallagerJenipherBlogPostVisionFinal

            Well, the last section of the novel was more exciting than the entire rest of the book and it was not terrible for me to read, ...