Monday, November 20, 2017

WallagerJenipherBlogPostVisionThree

            So, in the beginning of this book I really liked it and then the more I read into the novel, my decision had changed on liking the book at all. I figured that being fantasy I would really enjoy the book, but my feelings of fantasy and the authors is completely different. It might be because there are so many similarities of our world and theirs, making it hard to see the novel as fantasy. On page 352, it talks about Meg being upset because a person she had given advice to dies, Simon says, “She died because a human turned rabid and attacked other humans who were shopping in that store,” which that happens here in our world more often than we would like. All throughout the book there are situations where I feel those situations could happen here. Also, I should not forget that the novel is even fantasy with having what they call “others” in the book, but I do.

            Additionally, I am having a hard time keeping up with the book now. There are so many (what seems to me), to be a lot of climaxes, major events, and smaller events happening all over the place, making it hard to follow. First and most obvious issue in the novel is the onset problem of ownership of land. Then there is the problem with the blood prophets being owned and used for profit, along with knowing how their powers of visions actually work to determine the meanings. Also, there is the case Lizzy and her mother’s murder with the mystery of Lizzy’s bear Boo Bear and the jewels that were inside of him. To many things going on all at once and all over the place. Not what I thought the book was going to be. To me, it feels like it should just be a murder/mystery book and it does not matter if there are “others” in the book or not because they seem just as human as the actually humans themselves. 

2 comments:

  1. I also felt like this book had a lot going on. I referred to it as a soap opera in one of my blog post. I had the opposite feeling though as more things started unfolding I liked it better. I started asking a bunch of questions. I was completely engrossed after this reading section and had to finish the book. I feel like the fact that I have the audio book has helped. It is nice hearing the different voices and the inflections, to me it adds more meaning. You need clarification with a novel that has this much information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how hard I tried I could never get into this book much, and I never realized how many similarities this book shows to the real world and I thought the point about the shooting in the store was really good. Then there's other things that stand out to me now too like the others and the humans are so against each other in the book which makes me think of politics and how liberals and conservative groups are so against each other. You're right when you say this book can resemble a lot of what's going on in the real world. Also, I agree on the fact that I think there's too many plots going on in the book and I feel like it just makes it confusing and hard to keep track of.

    ReplyDelete

WallagerJenipherBlogPostVisionFinal

            Well, the last section of the novel was more exciting than the entire rest of the book and it was not terrible for me to read, ...