While
reading the “The Heroin Diaries,” I can feel the hurt and pain that Nikki is
feeling/going through. Never reading a graphic novel before, this novel has
graphics are very prominent. The pictures give off very strong emotion to what
was happening to Nikki at certain points in his life. I really believe that
drugs and addiction is already an epidemic here in the United States, and that
more people should open their ears and listen, rather than judging.
One thing that I had noticed that most
people would think was maybe a little crazy, was his place where he felt most
safe when he was on a trip, his bedroom closet. On page 19 Nikki says, “I would
huddle in there, surrounded by drug paraphernalia and guns.” I do not know
about anybody else but I would definitely feel safe if I had a gun to protect
me. Now, maybe not the greatest idea for him while he is tripping, but I am
guessing that is how he was thinking of it.
Also, on page 30, Nikki says, “Only
the dumb of the dumb would do it again. I don’t get sick from it now – I get
sick if I don’t do it.” Since he had started doing more drugs since he started
in with the band, drugs are now not just for fun or to get high, they are now a
need, not a want. There are a lot of people that do not actually understand how
drugs have an effect on a person’s brain. Therefore, I think people should know
fully about something before judging others.
I am in the same position when I began reading this graphic novel,I never thought I would end up reading one. The pictures bring an extra sense of relation when resembling what could have gone through Nikki`s head. Hard drugs are a massive problem in the United States, the average person does not know what these drugs actually do to people and the effect it has on them not only physically but mentally. I feel that as soon as the money came for Nikki it just became part of his daily life and proceeded to be a very bad addiction. Its almost impossible to skate a drug problem when you are living that aggressive rock and roll life style.
ReplyDelete